FREE training for healthcare professionals
Peer to peer online training for Surrey Heartlands healthcare professionals led by an expert Physical Activity Champion.
Supporting healthcare professionals to improve patient care and outcomes.
Around 1 in 3 men and half of women are not achieving recommended levels of activity for good health, with people with long term conditions twice as likely to be amongst the least active. Physical activity is
incorporated across NICE clinical guidance, with evidence suggesting 1 in 4 people would be more active if advised by a GP or nurse. However, 70-80% of GPs do not speak about the benefits of physical activity to patients. This can be associated with knowledge, skills and confidence gaps across HCPs. For example, a survey of 1,000 GPs found:
• Less than half (44%) of GPs are confident speaking about physical activity with patients
• Over half (55%) of GPs had had no specific training on physical activity in patient care
• 4 in 5 (80%) of GPs not familiar with the UK Chief Medical Officers’ guidelines
Benefits of training
Attending this FREE online training provides the opportunity to:
• Access evidence-based resources proven to increase knowledge and confidence, and support clinical practice in line with guidance (e.g. NICE)
• Improve management and care of patients with 30+ long-term conditions (e.g. CVD, type 2 diabetes, depression, MSK issues, some cancers).
• Help reduce service demand and costs i.e. the ~£0.9bn annual cost to the NHS associated with insufficient physical activity
Over 25,000 HCPs have been trained so far. An independent evaluation demonstrated improvements in participant knowledge, confidence and frequency of patient physical activity conversations:
• 84% agreed the training was useful in their work
• 91% would recommend the training to their colleagues
• 40% of HCPs were having more conversations with their patients about physical activity post-training