Los Angeles County Arboretum & Botanic Garden School Tour Reservations
Bus Grant Information:
Bus grant applications are closed, as available grants have been assigned.
Some the Arboretum’s historical structures may be closed for renovation during your visit: The Santa Anita Railroad Depot will be closed September – October 2019; The Queen Anne Cottage will be closed for up to 6 months, which may begin as early as late September/early October 2019; The historic 1840 adobe house is currently closed for renovations. The Coach Barn and Tongva Kiy will remain open. Our tour guides will adapt their routes around the available structures and may supplement with plant adaptation information..
Before making a reservation, please carefully read all information to ensure rules and expectations are understood, so Arboretum staff and volunteers may provide your group with a high-quality educational experience.
If you are unable to keep your reservation, PLEASE be considerate and cancel your booking promptly so another group may have the opportunity to use the released spaces.
• We cannot admit student groups with insufficient number of chaperones! The Arboretum requires one adult (teachers or chaperones) per 10 children, a 1:10/Adult:Student ratio.
• Food is not permitted inside the Arboretum.
• No plants, fruits, sticks, rocks or other parts of the garden may be taken.
Download Home School Information here.
School Field Trips:
The Los Angeles County Arboretum & Botanic Garden is a living classroom! Bring your students to the Arboretum to enhance their learning experience by immersing students with hands-on experiences for science and history.
Cost: Students’ admission is free. Adults are admitted free of charge up to 1:5/Adult:Student ratio. The fee for each adult over this ratio is $9.00 and is paid on the day of the tour.
Information for the Arboretum Gift Shop's Student Souvenir Pack. Order minimum of 2 weeks prior to tour date.
Self-Guided Field Trips: (M-F. Aug 12, 2019 to Jun 19, 2020)
• Self-Guided Field Trips are for grades preK-High School, Mon thru Fri, and are at the group's own pace.
• The Arboretum opens at 9:00am daily (closed New Years day and Christmas day). Self-Guided groups may arrive any time during normal hours.
• MUST be booked online at least 7 days in advance--if spaces are available.
• Docent led tours are for ONLY forgrades 3rd thru 6th! Other grades in your group? Please schedule a Self-Guided Field Trip.
• On guided tours: No siblings in strollers permitted. No cell phone/tablet use by students.
• Plant tours on Tue or Thu, no guided plant tours on 3rd-Tues (free-Tues). History tours on Wed or Fri. Check schedule for available dates.
• Guided tours can be booked online up to 14 days prior to the 1st of the month -- if sufficient spaces are available.
• PRIOR to booking any tour, if you have any questions about docent led tours for any group, please call Brooke Applegate (626) 821-5897!
• The day before the tour, if the chance of rain is higher than 40% at the arboretum, Brooke Applegate will call the school to see if they wish to cancel.
• On the day of the tour, if it is raining at 8:30am at the Arboretum, we will generally cancel the tour; alternatively, call Brooke Applegate, 626-821-5897.
Avoid common booking site errors/oversights:
• For a selected date/tour, look for the spaces available. You'll make a reservation for EACH STUDENTS' spot. Please, don't book a date that has insufficient spaces available for your group.
• On the shopping cart/Selected Items screen, select only ONE TOUR at a time--use the "x" to remove multiple selections--before choosing Book now to complete your reservation and obtain one unique Booking Reference code per each date/tour.
• To Change any booking (date or # of students), you MUST cancel and re-apply. Please coordinate your booking with bus arrangements.
• Entering accurate emails and phone numbers during the registration process is critical. If we can't contact you, your tour will be cancelled.
Use download links in the Booking Confirmation email to print, read and bring:
- On the day of your tour to ensure a smooth entry process, please bring the completed Field Trip Form with your Booking Reference code.
- Chaperones' role is to ensure children's safety and that the Arboretum rules are followed. Ensure chaperones read their responsibilities.
- Read and share the Check-in Procedure/Bus Parking with the bus driver.
General Booking Site Information:
• No login required; you do NOT need to create an ID/password for booking.
• Once you select "Book now", you have 60 minutes to complete the booking, then your session times out and your spaces are released back to the available pool.
• This online system is NOT for Adult Walking Tours. Call (626) 821-3210.
Upon Successful Booking Completion:
- You will see Booking Complete, plus the Booking Reference code.
- You'll receive an automated Booking Confirmation email.
If you do not receive the Booking Confirmation email, then something went wrong and your tour is NOT booked!
- Review all the materials included in your Booking Confirmation email, this is the time to resolve any errors. Tour date? Number of Students?
Print the Field Trip Form, you MUST bring the completed form on the day of your tour.
- Several weeks prior to your tour, you'll be called to confirm your reserved date, number of students, and expected arrival time.
If you do not respond to the verification phone call, your tour will be cancelled.
• Refer to the Booking Confirmation email. Select the link to access your booking, look for and select "View booking" button, then click on "Ticket Options", and select "Cancel Ticket," finally click "OK" to confirm cancellation.
• Self-Guided Field Trips and Guided Tours can be cancelled online using your booking link up to 7-days in advance.
• To cancel your tour less than 7-days in advance, call Brooke Applegate (626) 821-5897.
• Need booking help? Try first to carefully read the instructions provided on the various screens.
• Carefully read your Booking Confirmation email and follow the instructions.
• Other assistance, call the Arboretum School Tour line: (626) 821-3212
By proceeding with a reservation, you agree to:
- read the booking site instructions,
- follow the rules listed in the -> Arboretum's Field Trip Guidelines. <-
- follow the instructions in the Booking Confirmation email. Thank you.
Under SCHEDULE below, click "Select date", find your date+tour combo and select to highlight...
Then on the right side: Verify tour type, date and spaces available, and review the info under DETAILS section.
Next, scroll down... under TICKETS section, follow the instructions there.