Course Code: LDP123
Tutor: Anton Chapman
When: Fri 9.30am - 12.30pm
Dates: 10 Feb - 31 Mar 2023
Duration: 8 weeks
Maximum Enrolment: 12
Observation of the human form has always traditionally been at the forefront of an artist’s training. The challenge and fascination of drawing the figure from life is just as relevant and important today.
This life drawing course introduces and reinforces an understanding of the fundamental components and subtleties of the human body and leads to the translation of form through line, an understanding of mass and tonal relationships, of structure, proportion, and space.
Developments are encouraged in interpretation and individual expression through visual investigation and invention.
The model’s fee is included in the course fee.
NB: Please remember to bring materials from the course "materials list" online.
Life Drawing into Painting with Anton Chapman
A basic kit of materials to get you up and going is listed here. Specialist art shops are the best option and will provide student discounts if you mention that you are attending the school.
Recommended stores are:
• Studio Art Supplies – Crummer Road, Grey Lynn.
• The French Art Shop – Taylors Road, Morningside
• Gordon Harris – Gillies Avenue, Newmarket and Symonds Street, Auckland Central
• Takapuna Art Supplies – Takapuna
• Pencils – B, 2B, 4B, 6B *
• Willow charcoal – medium
• Compressed charcoal – medium
• Kneadable eraser (for charcoal), soft eraser (for pencils)
• A paper stump (sometimes called a ‘Tortillon’) *
• Black Indian ink and a dip pen with a sketching nib (or bamboo pens) *
• Bulldog clips *
• Fixative spray
• Soft pastels, oil pastels, conté sticks and pencils, charcoal pencils
Online payment includes payment fee of 2.9% + NZ$0.30. Offline payment details on confirmation page.
Standard Booking + $10.00 BSA Student Fund - Donation
A $10 donation will go to our BSA Student Fund - helping those who are unwaged or under financial hardship (with a Community Services Card) to attend our courses.