A day for Speech and Language Therapists and other professionals working with children and young people who have both Social Emotional and Mental Health Needs (SEMH) and SLCN. The aim of the course is to develop practitioners understanding of how attachment and trauma can affect children’s lives; their development, behaviour and their communication skills, as well as evidence-based ways to support them.
Understanding how attachment works and what happens when it is compromised, is often important in understanding children’s behaviour. Sadly many children and young people who have SEMH have also experienced complex trauma which can also affect their development and their ability to interact effectively. It is important to try to understand their experiences and be familiar with effective ways to support them.
• The attachment system;
• how it works,
• types of attachment and attachment disorders,
• the impact of attachment style on child development,
• Practical ways to support children with attachment issues.
• Types of trauma and its potential impact on development.
• How we can understand and support children and young people who have experienced complex trauma.
• The relevant neuroscience
• Opportunities to reflect on current practice and how to develop attachment and trauma informed services.
• Consideration of the potential impact on professionals, of working with those who have experienced attachment dificulties and or complex trauma.
Melanie Cross is a Consultant Speech and Langauge Therapist who works with children and young people who have SLCN and SEMH and Looked After Children, she was the lead author of the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists clinical guidelines on SEMH for SLTs and she is a Video Interaction Guider and Supervisor.
The day includes a 2-course lunch, and certification for CPD purposes.
Do you wish to attend this training, but need approval from your employer? Make use of our Registration of Interest Scheme to reserve a place:
Can be booked using class pass:
Only available to those who have already attended our CPD Masterclass: An introduction to working with children and young people who have Social, Emotional and Mental Health Needs (SEMH) and Speech, Language and Communication Needs (SLCN)
2-Course Discounted Booking
Discounted booking of 2 courses: An introduction to working with children and young people who have Social, Emotional and Mental Health Needs (SEMH) on 20th March 2020 and Understanding and supporting attachment difficulties and complex trauma on 5th June 2020