This course is suitable for those with limited or no knowledge of the Shape Coding™ system and is aimed at Speech and Language Therapists and teachers, although others are welcome to attend. The course teaches attendees the basics of Shape Coding™ and how to use it with children with language difficulties. It includes videos of SLTs using the system with a variety of children, practical sessions to improve understanding of the system and group activities on how to introduce it to children in the classroom or in small groups
• The underlying hypotheses of Shape Coding™ and other visual coding systems
• How Shape Coding™ differs from other visual coding systems
• The basic colours of Shape Coding™ (for parts of speech) and the shapes of Shape Coding™ (for phrases)
• The arrow system of Shape Coding™ (for verb morphology such as tenses)
• The evidence base for Shape Coding™ and which children benefit
You will also learn how to use Shape Coding™ to help teach:
o Basic sentence structures, vocabulary and the links between vocabulary and grammar (verb argument structure)
o Narrative and its links with vocabulary and grammar
o Forming simple questions
o Subject-verb agreement (e.g., use of ‘is’ vs. ‘are’)
o Verb tenses
o Introduction to conjunctions
Presented by Hilary Nicoll, a Highly Specialist Speech and Language Therapist in the field of Developmental Language Disorder as well as an accredited trainer for the SHAPE CODING™ system. Hilary works at Moor House School & College, Surrey with Dr. Susan Ebbels and uses the SHAPE CODING™ system daily in clinical practice both in individual therapy sessions and within the classroom.
The day includes a 2-course lunch, a comprehensive pack of handouts and certification for CPD purposes.
Can be booked using class passes: