BHS Adult Summer Camp information 2021
The camp is open to all BHS Gold Members and is aimed at the everyday grass roots rider to the aspiring competition rider, with all levels from novice to advance catered for. Enjoy three nights in the beautiful Breckland countryside at the peaceful Forest Edge Arena. Enjoy learning with your horse as our instructors put you both through your paces, plus lectures to expand your knowledge, then chill and unwind with a leisurely hack, through the forest and surrounding countryside.
The cost of the Camp is £310 and includes:
A stable for your horse, lessons, lectures, fun competition & full catering including a cooked breakfast and welcome BBQ on the Tuesday evening.
The coaches are Jo Winfield Accredited Professional FBHS and Caroline Meads Accredited Professional Performance Coach BHSI. There are two lessons on Wednesday and Thursday and a lesson followed by a competition on the last day. There is plenty of time to hack and a lecture each day. The numbers in sessions are small with the aim of 4 riders in each. Each lesson is an hour long or maybe spilt into smaller numbers with the time adjusted. This often happens for the afternoon session if the weather is very hot. So, you may have two riders having a semiprivate for 30mins, rather that four for an hour. The coach will sort people wanting to do similar at similar levels into session times, these may change day to day – there are no set groups.
Your camp starts from 2pm on the Tuesday, please arrive anytime between 2pm and 4pm. This gives plenty of time to put up tents and settle in. Most people will take advantage of the lovely hacking with a ride before dinner, which will be a welcome BBQ.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner are included in the price, along with T&C and cold juice during break times. A typical dinner would be lasagne, salad and garlic bread, followed by cheese or carrot cake. Lunch is a buffet style with things like sausage rolls, crisps, fruit & cake. Breakfast is bacon, egg, beans, toast & a selection of cereal. Vegetarian alternative is offered, and intolerances can be catered for. Lifestyle diets, for example low carb/vegan will need to be discussed direct with the center and may incur an extra cost.
The BHS camp is set at Forest Edge Arena, run by Sam and Mathew, it’s an equestrian competition centre set in the heart of Breckland. This is an unspoilt and picturesque area of Breckland (Norfolk), which means this will be a peaceful holiday with your horse. Forest Edge has direct access to the forest and offers miles of off-road hacking, which you can take advantage off.
The venue offers a warm friendly welcome. The facilities include, stables, indoor toilets & showers*, a snug & cafe, a 77x35m indoor arena, which has an Andrew Bowen pro-wax surface & a large outdoor arena.
You need to bring a tent/horse box etc to sleep in, electric hook ups are available as an extra, (book with centre) although as food is included should not be needed.
There are some permanent indoor stables, these are full for 2021. (2020 campers who’s camp was cancelled moved their booking into 2021 rather than ask for a refund). All other stables are temporary in nature, 10x10, like the sort of stables you will find at Equifest, HOYS etc, do not book unless your happy with these stables as no turnout is offered.
Where possible I will try and keep friends stables together. There is no turnout although you may graze in hand. Please bring or order your own bedding & feed. If you’re using Hay you may want to bring your own as ‘seasoned’ hay is often scarce at this time of year and the centre may therefore only have freshly cut available.
• For hay, haylage and woodchip please call Forest Edge on 01760 722616 (closed Mondays), payment to centre direct. This should be done at least 10 days before camp to allow the centre time to get your order in.
We get lots of riders coming on their own, as well as some coming with friends; many come back year after year. We get all levels, young and not so young, confident but mostly those who are not as confident as they once were. So a real mix. You need to be able to walk trot and canter with others in an enclosed arena. If you’re on a young, new or notice horse and have not worked in ‘open order’ with others, like in a livery yard school or at a show warm up. The please contact the me (Janet) on 07808 141076 for advice before booking.
On the last day there will be a friendly competition; this will include a dressage test or show jumping. Most campers do bring show gear and dress smart, although this is not required; it does look nice and is a great way to finish camp. Guests are welcome to come and watch you on the Friday afternoon. (If permitted under Covid rules)
Dogs: a dog may be bought to camp with the acknowledgement of myself. Please do not bring a dog that is prone to barking as it upsets the peace and tranquillity of the setting and disturbs other campers. Dogs should be kept on leads while on the yard.
If you have any questions or are unsure if camp is for you please me for a chat on 07808 141076
Please email your booking form and pay the deposit online. Once your form and deposit are both received I will confirm your place.
Booking Terms and conditions
• Anything is subject to change depending on latest Government advise.
• Anyone feeling unwell with Covid-19 type symptoms must not attend. Please contact Janet.
• Please park at least 5m apart in the designated parking area.
• Track and trace information will be taken and kept for up to 21 days after the event.
• All horses must be no younger than four years of age and be of an appropriate fitness level for the activity being undertaken – hooves and shoes must be in good condition.
• Tack must be suitable, in safe condition and fit correctly.
• Any stallions must be informed to the organizer at the time of booking. No person may bring a stallion without ensuring, at all times, that other riders, horses and members of the public are not at risk. Stallions should be identifiable by a bridle tag and/or yellow tail ribbon. Any stallions deemed to be unsafe by the organiser may be directed to leave the site.
• All horses must be up to date with annual equine influenza vaccinations and must be 6 days clear from their most recent vaccination. Spot checks will be made at the event.
• Horses should not be left unattended when tied to horseboxes.
• It is a legal requirement to have your horses’ passport when travelling to events.
• The BHS strongly recommends wearing hi-viz when hacking.
• Hats to the current standard must be worn and correctly secured at all times when mounted. Please check yours meets current standards which can be found at http://www.bhs.org.uk/headwear
• Body protectors are strongly recommended and should comply with current standards – also found on the BHS website at http://www.bhs.org.uk/body-protectors
• All riders must wear suitable riding footwear when mounted. Wellington boots and trainers are not allowed.
• The BHS strongly recommends wearing hi-viz when hacking & riders are advised to carry a mobile phone and be aware of the emergency contact number for the event.
• Refund of Deposit before the balance is paid/April 2021.
A refund of the £60 deposit is only given on production of a vet’s/Dr’s
certificate stating the horse/you will not be fit for work on the 1st of June; no
refunds of deposit are given for change of mind or circumstances.
• Refund of Total
Between the 1st April & 31st May the following will apply:
A full refund will be given on production of a vet’s or Dr’s certificate stating the
horse/you is not fit or likely to be fit for work in June.
All other circumstances between the 1st April & 31st May
The balance (less the deposit) will be refunded if I can fill your place, I normally
have a waiting list and have been always able to fill the spaces available,
however the more notice the easier this is.
After the 1st June.
No refunds can automatically be given no matter what the circumstances,
Vet’s/Dr certificate or otherwise.
However I will try to fill your space, again the later the cancelation the harder
As with all holidays it’s advisable to get insurance, then should you need to cancel, this would cover your holiday cost.
Please complete the attached camp booking form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Once this is received I will confirm your place.
BHS Summer Camp Deposit