Standard rate £150 + VAT
Voluntary organisations with fewer than 5 paid staff should contact us for a discount before booking.
This course enables housing staff to maximise income for their tenants. It considers a range of client groups including families with children, tenants with complex needs and older people. The course looks at the whole benefits system but has a particular focus on housing related payments and getting the rent paid.
By the end of the course participants will:
• Understand how the benefits system is structured and the range of benefits that make up the benefits and tax credits system;
• Know when a tenant should claim housing related benefits through Universal Credit and when it should be Housing Benefit;
• Know when and how it is possible to fill gaps in the rent account by getting housing related benefits paid retrospectively;
• Be able to identify the correct package of benefits for their tenants and help with the claims process;
• Be able to identify increases in means tested benefits and tax credits following an award of a disability benefit;
• Be able to trouble-shoot problems that typically affect tenants;
• Have access to the BTC advice service for 12 months after the course.