Rock climbing has inherent hazards such as falling, rockfall and errors in route-finding. Mishaps do happen when venturing out onto the big rock routes. We will show you how to deal with problems that arise when climbing more committing routes.
CanRock Mountain Guides Rope Rescue Skills course involves techniques and skills used commonly by ACMG/IFMGA Climbing Guides. We have extensive background in how to teach these techniques.
This program is for intermediate to advanced level climbers.
This course will take place at a venue in beautiful Banff National Park or surrounding areas.
This is a 2 day course that takes place typically on a weekend with a 4:1 ratio with an ACMG Mountain Guide with over 20years of guiding and instructional experience.
Rope Rescue Skills is an advanced level course for climbers.
Learn how to tie off the belay and get hands free to make a call for help.
Learn how to transfer a fallen climber onto an independent anchor point.
Lowering techniques using one rope.
Tying two ropes together to facilitate a longer lower in an emergency.
Raising a partner up to your anchor.
Climbing a loaded rope with prussiks or other rope clamp devices.
Descending techniques using rescue or tandem rappels.
Learn how to construct a block and tackle which facilitates a changeover from raise to lower or vice versa.
By the end of this course you will gain confidence knowing that you will be able to deal with a variety of scenarios. The type of accidents that potentially can happen when you are high up and committed on a big climbing route.
Rock Rescue Skills - Equipment List
The equipment and clothing you bring will have a big impact on the quality of your trip. Ensure to bring all items listed except for items that are listed as optional but please bring your own gear if you have it.
If you have any questions about starred items (not mandatory) or anything please contact us at 403 609 0795
• Belay device (BD ATC or Petzl Reverso and/or GriGri)
• Climbing Harness
• Rock Shoes
• Chalk Bag
• 5 locking Carabiners*, 5 non-locking Carabiners*
• 2 X 5m sections of 7mm cord*
• 1 X 1.5m section of 6mm cord*
• 1 X 120cm section of 10mm sewn spectra sling*
• 50, 60 or 70 meter rope*
• Rack of cams and wires (chocks, nuts etc.)*
• Lunch with some snacks
• 1 litre water bottle
• Cool weather clothing in the event the weather is unseasonable (insulated and shell jackets)
• Sun screen
• Sunglasses & Ball Cap
• Pants (lightweight, ‘schoeller’ type fabric or synthetic or wool type fabric)
• Clothing allowing for easy and complete range of motion
• Hiking boots or climbing approach shoes
• Small notebook and pencil (optional)
• Camera, batteries (optional)
• Daypack (40 liters. For clothing, lunch, personal and group gear)
Rock Rescue Skills
1 ticket for 2 day course