This course, run in partnership with Shelter Training, examines the process of challenging a PIP decision. It looks at the mandatory reconsideration and what claimants should do in preparation for an appeal tribunal hearing.
By the end of the course participants will:
- Understand the legal framework that underpins the decision making and appeals system;
- Be able to advise on how to challenge decisions within time and when late challenges can be made;
- Know how to write an effective mandatory reconsideration letter;
- Know when and how to collect evidence at different stages during the mandatory reconsideration and appeal process;
- Be able to understand and interpret the mandatory reconsideration notice and the DWP submission ahead of an appeal;
- Be able to help people complete the SSCS1 appeal form;
- Know how to construct a written submission to the Tribunal;
- Know when it may be appropriate to withdraw an appeal;
- Be able to access relevant legislation and case law in support of an appeal;
- Be able to describe what people should expect to happen on the day of the appeal hearing including who will be present and their roles;
- Understand the options for people who may lose their appeal;
- Have access to advice regarding any course-related question for 12 months after the course.
This course is suitable for anyone working with working age adults who have a physical, mental, learning or sensory disability or health problem.
Please read our Terms & Conditions on the attached document. Booking online means acceptance of our terms.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.