This is a two-part course run over two consecutive half days. To attend the whole course, please select 2-part discount ticket for £135 + VAT, you do not need to book separately onto Part 2.
INTRODUCTION TO WELFARE BENEFITS, Part 1:
This part of the course looks at the different types of benefits that make up the system, their main qualifying rules and the way the system fits together. It also considers how people claim benefits when they are affected by a health condition or a disability.
By the end of this part of the course participants will:
• Understand how the benefits system is structured and the differences between contributory, non-contributory and means tested benefits;
• Know who can claim each of the benefits which make up the system;
• Be able to help people identify and claim the right benefits when they are affected by a health condition or a disability.
INTRODUCTION TO WELFARE BENEFITS, Part 2:
This part of the course looks at how Universal Credit affects people in the context of the wider system. It also considers how we can complete a basic benefits check and get calculations done.
By the end of the course participants will:
• Understand who should claim Universal Credit;
• Be aware of how a claim to Universal Credit affects other benefits in the wider system.
• Be able to complete a basic benefits check to ensure people are claiming their likely entitlements;
• Be able to get calculations done;
• Know how to check that a decision is correct and what to do if it is not.
Methods of delivery
Both parts of this course are delivered online live with a Benefits Training Co. trainer. It is a practical course delivered using a combination of trainer presentation, exercises and case studies, group discussion and games. Participants will be provided with e-learning supporting material including PowerPoint slides and a comprehensive training pack.
This course is for staff who work with people who claim or could be claiming welfare benefits.
Certificates & post course support
Participants will receive an e-certificate for completing both Parts 1&2 (6 hours) of any complete BTC course. This also guarantees eligibility to access our free 12 months post-course advice service (including priority entry to free webinars).
In the week before the course, you will receive an email with Zoom link(s) to the course and a Dropbox link to access the pack/slides which are in pdf format. You will need to download (or print) the pack (and slides, if you wish) before each part of the course.
You will need a good wifi connection and a suitable computer/laptop to access both the Zoom session and the pack throughout. You may wish to use a separate device for the pack (or split your screen) if you cannot or do not wish to print.
We recommend participants log in a few minutes beforehand. You may also wish to have a pen and paper handy to make notes.
2 part discount ticket (booking for both Parts 1 & 2) with downloadable materials
This ticket covers both Part 1 and Part 2 (the following day)
|£135.00 + VAT|
2 part ticket (booking for both Parts 1 & 2) with printed pack
This ticket includes the cost of printing and delivery of a printed pack to your given address in advance. It is only available to those who book AT LEAST one week before the first training date.
|£160.00 + VAT|